Today was very productive. We finished cleaning out the interior and trunk to remove all the rust and debris. We then spray painted the floor pan in the cabin and trunk with rust inhibitor paint to help prevent further rust build up. However, there are some questionable spots that may need to be repaired due to rust damage.
We also removed the transmission in order to make a template for the motor adapter plate. First a hole was drilled big enough to fit the transmission spline shaft in a piece of particle board. Then the transmission was placed upside down on top of the particle board with the shaft through the hole. This allowed us to trace out the shape of the bell housing as well as drill through the existing bell housing bolt holes to ensure the proper hole placement for the adapter plate.
Finally we had to address the brake system. The lines were dry and the master cylinder was seized from years of sitting idle. With a generous amount of WD-40 and some compressed air, we were able to coax the piston out of the master cylinder. Then we were able to get the hydraulic brake system "working" but a new seal kit and bleeder valve will help. The rotors and calipers also need some work before they are road worthy.
Most of the components needed for the conversion have been ordered. This includes the motor, controller, wiring, monitoring system, charging system, DC/DC converter, and throttle control. Everything should be here within two weeks.
Today we moved the 1967 Triumph Spitfire donor car from it's backyard resting place into the lab. It needed a good spray down to remove most of the dirt and leaves from sitting outside for years. We spent the first day beginning to remove the internal combustion components to prepare for the conversion process.
University of Colorado Denver - ASME
In the summer of 2009 a group of University of Colorado Denver Mechanical Engineering students completed an ASME sponsored conversion of a 1967 Triumph Spitfire into an Electric Vehicle.