Another successful work day gone in the books. Today we focused on finishing the motor/transmission mating. We finished fabricating the adapter plate as well as welded the clutch spline to the key way collar to create a spline to key way adapter. It turned out very well.
We also started on the battery trays. 1" angle iron was cut at 45 degrees to prepare it to be welded into rectangular trays. Then the trays will be grouped and welded together according to the different battery placements (i.e. 4 over the motor, two in front of the motor, and 4 in the trunk over the rear axle).
And finally we started work on the car's 12 volt electrical system. The wiring is a mess and we decided to pull most of it out and start over to repair the damage. Looks like there was an electrical fire at some point.
University of Colorado Denver - ASME
In the summer of 2009 a group of University of Colorado Denver Mechanical Engineering students completed an ASME sponsored conversion of a 1967 Triumph Spitfire into an Electric Vehicle.